To whom it may concern,
I am a 19 year old student studying at Eckerd College in St. Petersburg, Fl. Recently, I had been working on a research project involving doctor assisted-suicide when I came across an article written by Rita L. Marker posted on your website. I am writing to you in hope that I will get some closure as to why the ITF put this article on its website.
In Ms. Marker's article, she uses Oregon's death with dignity act as the main basis for her position against doctor assisted-suicide. Personally, I am for assisted-suicide, but I feel that I was able to read the article objectively and without bias. Although it was very interesting reading about her theories and explanations as to why doctor assisted-suicide should be illegal, I had a few problems with some of the facts she used as they seemed to be distorted or untrue.
The first "fact" that I had a problem with was the statement, "* Complications or other problems associated with assisted suicide are almost impossible to determine." Though this statement might be true, it has little or no relevance to the actuality of the topic. The fact is that if someone does choose to end their life, the only possible complication would be that they were still alive. If the patient is dead, then the treatment worked; There really is nothing else to it. It was as if the statement was just added to confuse those who read it.
The second "fact" that I had a problem with was the statement, "* Schools can inform students that assisted-suicide is an acceptable medical choice." This statement absolutely baffled me. Can't schools inform students about murder, rape, or any other heinous thought you can think of? Why is it that Ms. Marker feels that it is bad to teach students about a legitimate medical procedure? That sort of brainwashing statement reminds me of statements made by those who opposed the teaching of evolution during the monkey trial.
You have to understand, I really did enjoy reading most of the article. Some of the arguments were presented in a scholarly fashion, but statements like these two seemed childish and down right disrespectful. If your organization really wanted to convince people that your position was the right one, I'd strongly urge you not to post articles which makes it's readers feel like they are being treated like idiots and find more legitimate reasons as to why assisted-suicide should be criminalized.
I am looking forward to hearing what you have to say.
Sincerely,
Julian Buck
Sunday, May 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment